A few weekends ago I went climbing at the Boulder House to start my personal inquiry project. Part of my interest in rock climbing is the physical workout aspect of the activity, but I also am interested in overcoming my intense fear of heights. I went to Stelly’s Secondary and had access to a world-class rock climbing gym when I was in high school, but I didn’t didn’t take advantage of it due to my fear of heights – I never made it to the top of the 18 metre tall wall (I don’t think I even made it half way).

When I expressed interest in learning how to rock climb, my friend (who’s an experienced climber) recommended we start with bouldering because she was aware of my fear of heights and bouldering walls are not very high. However, I actually found bouldering to be difficult as someone with a fear of heights. Even though the routes are relatively short and low, they’re still high enough that you’re about 10 feet off the ground by the time you’re at the top. Once I reach about 6 feet off the ground, my legs start shaking and I can feel myself beginning to panic. I probably did about 5 of the easiest routes before I called it a day because I was feeling the affects of my stress.

Next time I go rock climbing, I want to go to back to my high school climbing wall and practice falling while I have a belayer. I think I need to get used to the feeling of falling without being scared in order to start progressing.

Bouldering summary:

• Enjoyment: 3/10 
  • Cost: $15
  • Interest in doing it again: 4/10

Me (feeling very nervous and clammy) while doing a yellow “beginners” route.