On October 4th I went a spin class at UVic (and Anna from our cohort was the instructor!). Anna made the class super fun and enjoyable, but unfortunately I only managed to stayed on the bike for about 10 minutes. The class was at 6:30am, and when I woke up that morning I had a sore throat. I thought I could battle through the workout, but I was very, very wrong. It was my first spin class and my legs felt like jello after about 3 minutes. I’ve convinced myself that it was because I was getting sick, but I’m a little nervous to attend another class in case I lose control of my legs again and can’t blame it on being sick. It was was a really good workout, but I have yet to determine whether or not it’s an activity I’d like to do regularly.

The spin bikes at UVic have a ICG Coach by Colour feature, which includes a light on the front of the bike that both the rider and the instructor can see. The light indicates “training zones” calculated based on the rider’s power output and their functional output power (based on your age, weight, activity level, etc.).  The training zones are very light (white), light (blue), moderate (green), very hard (yellow), and maximum (red). These colours provide meaningful information about the rider’s output of energy. It was also a great way for Anna to communicate changes in the level of intensity.

I’m excited to go back next week and try again now that I’m feeling better!

Enjoyment: 5/10 *(likely because I was sick).

Cost: $20

Interest in doing again: 8/10